Trusted Training Partners
Quick Look Course Summary:Taking charge as a Leader & Closing the Gap between Specialist and Manager
Next Public Course Date:
Length: 3 day(s)
Price (at your venue): 1 Person R 16,700.00 EX VAT 3 Person R 11,644.28 EX VAT 10 Person R 7,836.00 EX VAT
Certification Type:SETA Accredited
Locations & Venues: Off-site or in-house. We train in all major city centres throughout South Africa.
Get Free & personalised
Taking charge as a Leader
You are a specialist…but:
- Suddenly, you are excelling at what you do and senior management places you in charge of an important project that comes, yes, with not only technical resources but also with a team of people for you to manage and you have no idea where to begin.
- Now, you are very good at your job from a technical point of view and although you have much to offer in terms of knowledge and expertise;
- This is your first time facing the task of managing a team of people.
- Suddenly, you realize that there are distinct differences between management and leadership that were not obvious to you until now and you know that you need to close the gap between being a specialist and taking on the mantle of leadership so that you can move forward with confidence.
This course is an opportunity to help you grow in mastering leadership techniques in that you will effectively be able to explain the concept of leadership, differentiate between the concepts of management and leadership, evaluate the impact of the leadership techniques put in place and apply those techniques to individuals and teams.
Take the leap and learn to lead. A positive step towards learning how to:
- Differentiate between the concepts of leadership and management.
- Explain the concept of leadership.
- Evaluate the impact of the leadership techniques applied.
- Apply leadership techniques to individuals and teams within the work context.
- Identify the roles and qualities of a leader.
- Understand leadership theories.
- Understand the circumstances within which a team leader manages and leads.
- Formulate team leadership approach according to individual needs and organisational requirements.
Benefits of attending: Taking charge as a Leader & Closing the Gap between Specialist and Manager course
Upon successful completion of this course you will have mastered your leadership skills in the following areas:
- Understand the concept of leadership as per accepted definitions.
- Understand the various qualities of a leader including empathy, objectivity, transparency, accountability, responsibility, honesty, integrity, assertiveness, consistency and making reference to present and historical leaders.
- Understand the various roles of a leader including visionary capabilities, the capacity to innovate, the ability to motivate oneself and others, knowing how to create synergies and facilitating a developmental environment.
- Differentiate between the concepts of management and leadership by means of practical examples and working scenarios.
- Understanding the circumstances in which a team leader manages and leads as applied to practical examples in the work context.
- Apply leadership techniques to individuals and teams within the work context using techniques such as trait leadership, leadership based on behavior styles, servant leadership and transformational leadership.
- Identify and apply various theories of leadership.
- Implement various leadership techniques in order to improve group dynamics and achieve objectives.
- Critically evaluate the impact of the leadership techniques applied and adjust where necessary.
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is aimed at supervisors, team leaders and junior managers who manage a team.
This Unit Standard course is aligned to Unit Standard 242824: Apply leadership concepts in a work context
- ‘I have learnt more about myself, my skills and how to make some positive changes. I did not expect the course to be so informative and positive and inspiring. I feel like a different person. For me, the course was more than what I expected, so I would not change anything. The facilitator was amazing.’ Melissa Bester – Aveng Grinkaker-LTA Mechanical & Electrical
- ‘The course was not only about work but it was also about personal changes. The content in the presentation was excellent. The best thing about this course was the focus on work and changing individual lives.’ Mini Mokoena – Department of Economic, Small Business, Development & Environmental Affairs
- ‘This course confirmed my realization for a need to make changes in my life to positively change my future. What went well for me were the presentations and the ability to interact with all the participants. The best thing about this course was the instructor’s drive to go beyond and exceed my expectations.’Mpho Malakoane – Department of Economic, Small Business, Development & Environmental Affairs
- ‘Through interactions and discussions I learnt the importance of good leadership in taking an organization forward. What went well for me was the fact that the training was very interactive thus allowing every individual to voice their opinions on matters. The best thing about this course was the manner in which it was presented, it was very practical. Thank you very much Jaini for opening my eyes on a lot of issues, this has been very beneficial training.’Michelle Selo – – Department of Economic, Small Business, Development & Environmental Affairs